PGC overview: CWD open house next week | Sports

HARRISBURG – The Pennsylvania Game Commission is holding an open house to educate the public about Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD), which poses a serious threat to white-tailed deer and elk in the state.

The event is set for 6 p.m. on Wednesday, September 29 at Russell Volunteer Fire Co., 111 Perrigo Lane, Russell, PA 16345.

CWD, which is still fatal to the deer and elk it infects, was first detected in Pennsylvania in captive deer in 2012 and in wild white-tailed deer in the wild a few months later. Since then CWD has been detected in 730 deer. No Pennsylvania moose has ever tested positive for the disease.

To limit the spread of CWD, the Game Commission has promulgated special regulations in several locations in Pennsylvania. These areas are known as Disease Management Areas (DMA) and Established Area (EA).

DIGITAL LICENSES AVAILABLE – Just in time for squirrel season, hunters in Pennsylvania can now take digital versions of their licenses with them, in place of paper licenses.

Unlike Pennsylvania’s old hunting and furtaker licensing system, the new system, HuntFishPA, is equipped to issue digital licenses. Earlier this year, the Pennsylvania Game Commission allowed hunters and trappers to hold digital licenses and permits, although paper harvest tags should still be worn and used in any season crops need to be tagged.

Hunters and trappers who have already purchased their 2021-2022 licenses can download PDF copies of their licenses and permits by logging into their profile on HuntFishPA ( and accessing their history. purchase.

Those who purchase licenses now and in the future will receive a PDF version of their licenses via email, provided they provide an email address in their profile. This applies whether they are purchasing licenses online or from an issuing agent. All documents will be emailed with the exception of harvest labels.

Deer, bear and turkey hunters, as well as those who hunt or trap during any other season when crops must be tagged, must continue to wear paper harvest tags in the field. No electronic harvest tag is issued or authorized for use. And all licenses and paper permits that are transported to the field must be signed.

Those who plan to hunt big game or bobcats, or trap fishermen or otters should plan ahead to ensure they are in possession of their harvest tags before hunting or trapping these species. . All harvest labels will be mailed to those who purchase their permits online.

But for many hunting and trapping opportunities, a digital license is all that is required.

Source link

Comments are closed.